Skip to main content

"grow in grace" from Spurgeon

“Grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.”
2 Peter 3:18

“Grow in grace”—not in one grace only, but in all grace. Grow in that root-grace, faith. Believe the promises more firmly than you have done. Let faith increase in fulness, constancy, simplicity. Grow also in love. Ask that your love may become extended, more intense, more practical, influencing every thought, word, and deed. Grow likewise in humility. Seek to lie very low, and know more of your own nothingness. As you grow downward in humility, seek also to grow upward—having nearer approaches to God in prayer and more intimate fellowship with Jesus. May God the Holy Spirit enable you to “grow in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour.” He who grows not in the knowledge of Jesus, refuses to be blessed. To know him is “life eternal,” and to advance in the knowledge of him is to increase in happiness. He who does not long to know more of Christ, knows nothing of him yet. Whoever hath sipped this wine will thirst for more, for although Christ doth satisfy, yet it is such a satisfaction, that the appetite is not cloyed, but whetted. If you know the love of Jesus—as the hart panteth for the water-brooks, so will you pant after deeper draughts of his love. If you do not desire to know him better, then you love him not, for love always cries, “Nearer, nearer.” Absence from Christ is hell; but the presence of Jesus is heaven. Rest not then content without an increasing acquaintance with Jesus. Seek to know more of him in his divine nature, in his human relationship, in his finished work, in his death, in his resurrection, in his present glorious intercession, and in his future royal advent. Abide hard by the Cross, and search the mystery of his wounds. An increase of love to Jesus, and a more perfect apprehension of his love to us is one of the best tests of growth in grace.

reminds me to listen again to CJ Mahaney's "What a Mother Can't do Without" (psst, it's faith)

Popular posts from this blog

sovereign ruler

Sovereign Ruler of the skies, Ever gracious, ever wise, All my times are in thy hand, All of events at thy command. His decree who formed the earth Fixed my first and second birth; Parents, native place, and time All appointed were by him. He that formed in the womb, He shall guide me to the tomb; All my times shall ever be Ordered by his wise decree. Times of sickness, times of health, Times of penury and wealth; Times of trial and of grief, Times of triumph and relief; Times the tempter’s power to prove, Times to test the Savior’s love; All must come, and last, and end As shall please my heavenly friend. Plagues and death around me fly; Till he bids, I cannot die. Nor a single shaft can hit, Till the love of God sees fit. John Ryland (1753-1825), Baptist minister, cited by J.I. Packer, God’s Plans for You , pg. 9.

instruments of righteousness

"For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God." Romans 6:10-13 Presenting my "members" as "instruments of righteousness to God" is something I should strive to do. This verse made me think about how I am living - am I letting sin reign? Do I volunteer and sign-up for service to sin? Or am I seeking to be an instrument of righteousness to God. The word "instrument" reminded me of a very good book - Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands by Paul David Tripp . Full of Scripture, the book challenged me and Don to be Biblic...

out of it

I really am not sure what to write this morning. I didn't get much sleep last night, not due to the kids - well the ones who have been born anyway. I'm going to try and watch more what and when I eat today so maybe tonight I won't be dealing with the acid reflux so bad. I read Romans 5 this morning and there is so much in there that I don't feel like I can get my head around it to pull out something. It's all so very wonderful. The kids aren't awake yet, so I think I'll go lay back down.