Skip to main content

cast off the slave chains

I just can't get out of Romans 8.

For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, "Abba! Father!"

I woke up this morning with thoughts of God's sovereignty on my mind. The fact that He controls everything and will let nothing go further than He has decreed. He is a kind and loving Father who I can trust. So, I don't have to worry about the events of today. Though I can't always trust other people to do the right thing (or even myself for that matter!) or put my confidence in 'things' today - I can put my confidence in my heavenly Father and rest in His adoption of me as a child. So, no need to put on the slave chains of fear again - let me just remind myself of who my Father is.

Popular posts from this blog

sovereign ruler

Sovereign Ruler of the skies, Ever gracious, ever wise, All my times are in thy hand, All of events at thy command. His decree who formed the earth Fixed my first and second birth; Parents, native place, and time All appointed were by him. He that formed in the womb, He shall guide me to the tomb; All my times shall ever be Ordered by his wise decree. Times of sickness, times of health, Times of penury and wealth; Times of trial and of grief, Times of triumph and relief; Times the tempter’s power to prove, Times to test the Savior’s love; All must come, and last, and end As shall please my heavenly friend. Plagues and death around me fly; Till he bids, I cannot die. Nor a single shaft can hit, Till the love of God sees fit. John Ryland (1753-1825), Baptist minister, cited by J.I. Packer, God’s Plans for You , pg. 9.

instruments of righteousness

"For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God." Romans 6:10-13 Presenting my "members" as "instruments of righteousness to God" is something I should strive to do. This verse made me think about how I am living - am I letting sin reign? Do I volunteer and sign-up for service to sin? Or am I seeking to be an instrument of righteousness to God. The word "instrument" reminded me of a very good book - Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands by Paul David Tripp . Full of Scripture, the book challenged me and Don to be Biblic...