Skip to main content

woe to the Pharisees and lawyers

If one should ever be tempted to think that Jesus was all mushy and only said "positive" things that would build people's self-esteem, he should read Luke 11:37-54. Jesus goes against any idea that one might have about not offending your dinner host. A Pharisee had invited him to dinner and Jesus first makes a point by not ceremonially washing his hands - which gives an open door for a "real" conversation. One of the things he accuses the Pharisees of doing...

"For you pay tithe of mint and rue and every kind of garden herb, and yet disregard justice and the love of God; but these are the things you should have done without neglecting the others."


Makes me think - am I disregarding justice and loving God and emphasizing smaller, more insignificant things? It seems like it is one of those things of making an idol out of some good thing. For instance, lately I've been doing tons of reading and strategizing on how to save money on groceries and household items. Basically, trying to reduce the amount I need and spend in my "Household" budget. This is potentially a good and God-honoring task. Several verses from Proverbs 31 and Titus 2 about being a good home-manager and seeking food for my family "like merchant's ships" etc. etc. can be used to support this effort. However, my temptation and yes, my sin, has been to put those things and efforts before loving my husband and children. It has been a temptation to use my "quiet time" in the morning doing internet research instead of concentrating on reading the Scriptures and prayer. I have obviously been "disregarding justice and the love of God" in exchange for something that might be "good", but obviously not in the right priority. Father, forgive me and help me to see this sin clearly so that I may put it off and put on what You consider the right perspective.

Popular posts from this blog

sovereign ruler

Sovereign Ruler of the skies, Ever gracious, ever wise, All my times are in thy hand, All of events at thy command. His decree who formed the earth Fixed my first and second birth; Parents, native place, and time All appointed were by him. He that formed in the womb, He shall guide me to the tomb; All my times shall ever be Ordered by his wise decree. Times of sickness, times of health, Times of penury and wealth; Times of trial and of grief, Times of triumph and relief; Times the tempter’s power to prove, Times to test the Savior’s love; All must come, and last, and end As shall please my heavenly friend. Plagues and death around me fly; Till he bids, I cannot die. Nor a single shaft can hit, Till the love of God sees fit. John Ryland (1753-1825), Baptist minister, cited by J.I. Packer, God’s Plans for You , pg. 9.

instruments of righteousness

"For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God." Romans 6:10-13 Presenting my "members" as "instruments of righteousness to God" is something I should strive to do. This verse made me think about how I am living - am I letting sin reign? Do I volunteer and sign-up for service to sin? Or am I seeking to be an instrument of righteousness to God. The word "instrument" reminded me of a very good book - Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands by Paul David Tripp . Full of Scripture, the book challenged me and Don to be Biblic...

out of it

I really am not sure what to write this morning. I didn't get much sleep last night, not due to the kids - well the ones who have been born anyway. I'm going to try and watch more what and when I eat today so maybe tonight I won't be dealing with the acid reflux so bad. I read Romans 5 this morning and there is so much in there that I don't feel like I can get my head around it to pull out something. It's all so very wonderful. The kids aren't awake yet, so I think I'll go lay back down.