Skip to main content

losing my life

From the world I came from almost 4 years ago, the concept of "losing my life" would have been something looked at with deep sadness and met with encouraging mantras of "doing something for yourself" or reminders that raising my children "won't last forever" and that I could still "do something with my life". The idea of leaving a successful and promising career confused a lot of people, but they also knew I was "very religious" so they expected something weird from me. So, on the day my first child was born I put my last development project live, cooked supper then went to the hospital. While I've had seasons where I worked part-time doing development work, my more-than-full-time job has been serving my husband and children as a home-maker.

A few days ago a breeze from my old life blew through my office. I still manage one website and had to call my hosting company's technical support. It is amazing to me how refreshing the conversation was. I could talk the lingo. I could tell when he was giving me a "pat" answer. I could see through the technical jargon, talk it back to him and actually get him to do some work. Sure, all the while my daughter was freaking out in my arms and I could barely hear the technical support guy, but she finally calmed down and I was amazing able to keep my head in the game through it all. I hung up the phone feeling alive. And then, I was wondering, "Why?" "Why do I feel so alive right now? Why do I 'feel' as if it that world was what I was made for when Scripture tells me differently?" I talked this over with my husband last night. I think a few things why it "felt" so good is because as my husband said, although it is a huge subject field, I could still get a box around it and feel somewhat comfortable inside the box. With mothering, on the other hand, it's too big for a box. I never feel quite like I know what I'm doing. Yes, I definitely learn and grow, but there is always some challenge where I'm called upon to act, yet do not know what in the world I'm doing. I do not have a shelf full of manuals where I can look up the syntax for a particular command and program my children. I also do not have a clean-cut, well-organized Daytimer that contains pages of checkmarks beside all the things I get accomplished each day. And...even if I did have a Daytimer, the main things I want to accomplish, I can't check off today...or even tomorrow. Things like "instill in my children a love for God's word", "help my children develop a Christian worldview", "lead my children to Christ". All things for which there are no "live-dates".

It saddened me to think that I don't feel that same "breath-of-fresh-air-I'm-alive" feeling every day that I'm mothering. I mean I do have to be honest and say "yes, I've had some good days - it's not all drudgery and terrible" - by no means. (What's funny is, right now I'm falling asleep and kind of losing my train of thought :-) )

Anyways - it's encouraging to hear Christ's command:

Luke 9:24 "For whoever wishes to save his life shall lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it."

So...I'm losing my life and praying, hoping, trusting God.

Popular posts from this blog

sovereign ruler

Sovereign Ruler of the skies, Ever gracious, ever wise, All my times are in thy hand, All of events at thy command. His decree who formed the earth Fixed my first and second birth; Parents, native place, and time All appointed were by him. He that formed in the womb, He shall guide me to the tomb; All my times shall ever be Ordered by his wise decree. Times of sickness, times of health, Times of penury and wealth; Times of trial and of grief, Times of triumph and relief; Times the tempter’s power to prove, Times to test the Savior’s love; All must come, and last, and end As shall please my heavenly friend. Plagues and death around me fly; Till he bids, I cannot die. Nor a single shaft can hit, Till the love of God sees fit. John Ryland (1753-1825), Baptist minister, cited by J.I. Packer, God’s Plans for You , pg. 9.

instruments of righteousness

"For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God." Romans 6:10-13 Presenting my "members" as "instruments of righteousness to God" is something I should strive to do. This verse made me think about how I am living - am I letting sin reign? Do I volunteer and sign-up for service to sin? Or am I seeking to be an instrument of righteousness to God. The word "instrument" reminded me of a very good book - Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands by Paul David Tripp . Full of Scripture, the book challenged me and Don to be Biblic...

out of it

I really am not sure what to write this morning. I didn't get much sleep last night, not due to the kids - well the ones who have been born anyway. I'm going to try and watch more what and when I eat today so maybe tonight I won't be dealing with the acid reflux so bad. I read Romans 5 this morning and there is so much in there that I don't feel like I can get my head around it to pull out something. It's all so very wonderful. The kids aren't awake yet, so I think I'll go lay back down.