Skip to main content

proverbs for parenting - part 2

I've finished my trek (for now) of hunting through the book of Proverbs for nuggets of parenting wisdom...and wow! have I found the treasure trove! The book is full of responsibilities, blessings and warnings for both parent and child. I'm sure that I have probably missed several verses that should be on the list. But, in its incomplete form, here is what I found - parenting nuggets from the book of Proverbs.

Recently in family worship my husband has been taking us through the book of Proverbs and teaching verses to our children. Though not an idea original to us, we've been putting hand motions etc. to some of the verses to help our children memorize. It has been amazing what even our one-year old remembers! A section of Scripture was read the other night at church and she was saying it right along with the speaker. We pray that it will be a great blessing to them to have these Scriptures stored in their minds - even if they don't remember it perfectly later, it will be familiar when we go back through the book of Proverbs when they are older.

We've also utilized the following books by Jim and Elizabeth George in our pursuit of the study of Proverbs with our children:

God's Wisdom for Little Boys
An invaluable resource for getting the wisdom of the Proverbs into your child from the very beginning. We've used the poems and illustrations many times in training our son.

God's Wisdom for Little Girls
This book makes Proverbs 31 applicable to young girls. It's a great resource even from very young, since each character trait is a very short read.


These books on Proverbs have been recommended and we will probably use them as our children mature.

Hidden Treasures by Doorposts
Bring Proverbs to life for your whole family! Full of different studies and ideas for family worship times. Includes 90 illustrated proverbs from our illustration contest.

Proverbs for Parenting

Popular posts from this blog

sovereign ruler

Sovereign Ruler of the skies, Ever gracious, ever wise, All my times are in thy hand, All of events at thy command. His decree who formed the earth Fixed my first and second birth; Parents, native place, and time All appointed were by him. He that formed in the womb, He shall guide me to the tomb; All my times shall ever be Ordered by his wise decree. Times of sickness, times of health, Times of penury and wealth; Times of trial and of grief, Times of triumph and relief; Times the tempter’s power to prove, Times to test the Savior’s love; All must come, and last, and end As shall please my heavenly friend. Plagues and death around me fly; Till he bids, I cannot die. Nor a single shaft can hit, Till the love of God sees fit. John Ryland (1753-1825), Baptist minister, cited by J.I. Packer, God’s Plans for You , pg. 9.

instruments of righteousness

"For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God." Romans 6:10-13 Presenting my "members" as "instruments of righteousness to God" is something I should strive to do. This verse made me think about how I am living - am I letting sin reign? Do I volunteer and sign-up for service to sin? Or am I seeking to be an instrument of righteousness to God. The word "instrument" reminded me of a very good book - Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands by Paul David Tripp . Full of Scripture, the book challenged me and Don to be Biblic...

out of it

I really am not sure what to write this morning. I didn't get much sleep last night, not due to the kids - well the ones who have been born anyway. I'm going to try and watch more what and when I eat today so maybe tonight I won't be dealing with the acid reflux so bad. I read Romans 5 this morning and there is so much in there that I don't feel like I can get my head around it to pull out something. It's all so very wonderful. The kids aren't awake yet, so I think I'll go lay back down.