Skip to main content

conformed to this world?

"Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:1-2
The question I am asking myself today based on these verses is "In what ways am I tempted to be conformed to this world?" Don and I talked about it at breakfast this morning. Without really having to think about it, I know one thing I struggle with (not so much right now, but it always comes and goes in intensity - and knowing me it will be a big struggle when the new baby is probably 5-6 weeks old) is the issue of the Bible's definition of womanhood and the popular culture's definition. Many times in the past the main idea on my radar has been the idea that I could make a more significant contribution to my family, etc. if I was primarily dedicated to a career outside the home. I don't have to go into this to validate this as our culture's "given". And I don't want to explain too much what thoughts I struggle with in case, honestly, it might make me stumble into that kind of struggle more today.

So Don asks, how do we fight it? (He had mentioned some things he's tempted to conform in also). Answers?: Saturate ourselves with the right and true thinking of Scripture. The arguments that I have in favor of being "tiger-lady-career-woman" vs. "lover-of-my-husband-and-children" are not truth. I can find truth in the Bible. True fulfillment. True contribution. True reminders that nothing good in my life would be possible without the mercy and grace of God and His enabling. Also, a great help has been to listen and read others reading Scripture and explaining what it means. This helps mostly because it gets the Scripture into my mind. It also helps to encourage me that I am not alone in the struggle or in the "living out" of Biblical womanhood. Some things that have greatly encouraged me to think rightly in this area:

Nancy Leigh DeMoss's Lies Women Believe and the Truth that Sets Them Free
Carolyn Mahaney's Feminine Appeal
Martha Peace's The Excellent Wife

Lots of Messages by Carolyn Mahaney on Biblical Womanhood in addition to recent one she gave at Covenant Life's Family Room (which I haven't listened to yet, but is on my iPod and should be a great listen).

Another way I have been greatly strengthened and encouraged in this fight to be transformed rather than conformed is through the sacrificial service of some dear ladies to me. These are women who have spoke of Biblical womanhood to me not only by reminding me of Scripture, but by showing me in their lives. Tears of thankfulness come to my eyes as I think about the countless phone calls, trips to the coffee shop, sitting across dining room tables, devotionals at baby showers, etc. that they have blessed me with when I looked at them through tear-stained eyes and said, "I can't do this." They always remind me of the high call of Scripture and the gracious God who ever prepares and enables us to do what He has called us to do. Thank you God for Judy Z., Tandy, Judy C. and so many others who through their words and lives have embodied Titus 2.

Popular posts from this blog

sovereign ruler

Sovereign Ruler of the skies, Ever gracious, ever wise, All my times are in thy hand, All of events at thy command. His decree who formed the earth Fixed my first and second birth; Parents, native place, and time All appointed were by him. He that formed in the womb, He shall guide me to the tomb; All my times shall ever be Ordered by his wise decree. Times of sickness, times of health, Times of penury and wealth; Times of trial and of grief, Times of triumph and relief; Times the tempter’s power to prove, Times to test the Savior’s love; All must come, and last, and end As shall please my heavenly friend. Plagues and death around me fly; Till he bids, I cannot die. Nor a single shaft can hit, Till the love of God sees fit. John Ryland (1753-1825), Baptist minister, cited by J.I. Packer, God’s Plans for You , pg. 9.

instruments of righteousness

"For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God." Romans 6:10-13 Presenting my "members" as "instruments of righteousness to God" is something I should strive to do. This verse made me think about how I am living - am I letting sin reign? Do I volunteer and sign-up for service to sin? Or am I seeking to be an instrument of righteousness to God. The word "instrument" reminded me of a very good book - Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands by Paul David Tripp . Full of Scripture, the book challenged me and Don to be Biblic...

out of it

I really am not sure what to write this morning. I didn't get much sleep last night, not due to the kids - well the ones who have been born anyway. I'm going to try and watch more what and when I eat today so maybe tonight I won't be dealing with the acid reflux so bad. I read Romans 5 this morning and there is so much in there that I don't feel like I can get my head around it to pull out something. It's all so very wonderful. The kids aren't awake yet, so I think I'll go lay back down.