Skip to main content

contemplation

Speaking of Abraham in Romans 4, Paul writes:
"In hope against hope he believed, in order that he might become a father of many nations, according to that which had been spoken, "So shall your descendants be." And without becoming weak in faith he contemplated his own body, now as good as dead since he was about a hundred years old, and the deadness of Sarah's womb; yet, with respect to the promise of God, he did not waver in unbelief, but grew strong in faith, giving glory to God, and being fully assured that what He had promised, He was able also to perform. Therefore also it was reckoned to him as righteousness." Romans 4:18-22
This set of verses caught my attention of late - I'm still trying to figure out exactly what they mean. When it says that "he contemplated his own body..." he obviously took a realistic look at the situation. It's like he was saying, "OK, I'm really, really old - my body's not working so great any more. Sarah was past child-bearing years decades ago." Yet though he pointed out the reality of the situation the Bible tells us that "he did not waver in unbelief." I think many times we have allowed the "positive-thinking gospel" to become part of what we think of as THE gospel. In a sort of superstitious way we think "as long as I only think good, positive things then maybe that will show God I really have faith and He will come through on His promise." But that's not what Abraham, the father of Faith, did! He "contemplated" the impossibility of the situation, didn't waver, but yet "grew strong in faith" and through this "(gave) glory to God"!

So, what impossibilities am I facing right now? Honestly when I think to list them, they seem so petty. This first thing that came to my mind was living out the remainder of this pregnancy in a new city with no friends near. The health issues I've had recently - often in the back of my mind the idea that there may be a blood clot floating around somewhere inside. The normal pain of pregnancy that doesn't ever seem to be "normal", but very real and inconvenient. The fact that we moved here for the "near-perfect" job, yet Don is having to work until very late with no extra pay. I guess living through these isn't impossible - just put one foot in front of the other and slowly time will make the living possible. It is living through these with faith and joy and contentment and peace and no fear that is impossible. So am I "weak in faith" if I list these things? Am I weak if I contemplate the trials I am facing? Should I rather bury my head in the sand and pretend these don't exist? Or just keep thinking that "of course I don't have a blood clot" because by just thinking that the possibility of it will go away? Based on Abraham's example, I don't think so. When I stop and list the trials, it causes me to also recognize the blessings and the relish in God's promises. "I will never leave you nor forsake you." "I will not withhold any good thing from you." "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God who gives to all men liberally and without reproach." "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble." I helps me to be "fully assured that what [God] had promised, He was able also to perform."

Of course, I still cry out "Lord, help my unbelief!" I pray that God would cause me to grow strong in faith and through every day of my life (not just until this season is over!) that I would give glory to God. That seems impossible - but I must remember "...with God all things are possible" and it is on Him - not me - that my faith rests.

Popular posts from this blog

sovereign ruler

Sovereign Ruler of the skies, Ever gracious, ever wise, All my times are in thy hand, All of events at thy command. His decree who formed the earth Fixed my first and second birth; Parents, native place, and time All appointed were by him. He that formed in the womb, He shall guide me to the tomb; All my times shall ever be Ordered by his wise decree. Times of sickness, times of health, Times of penury and wealth; Times of trial and of grief, Times of triumph and relief; Times the tempter’s power to prove, Times to test the Savior’s love; All must come, and last, and end As shall please my heavenly friend. Plagues and death around me fly; Till he bids, I cannot die. Nor a single shaft can hit, Till the love of God sees fit. John Ryland (1753-1825), Baptist minister, cited by J.I. Packer, God’s Plans for You , pg. 9.

instruments of righteousness

"For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God." Romans 6:10-13 Presenting my "members" as "instruments of righteousness to God" is something I should strive to do. This verse made me think about how I am living - am I letting sin reign? Do I volunteer and sign-up for service to sin? Or am I seeking to be an instrument of righteousness to God. The word "instrument" reminded me of a very good book - Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands by Paul David Tripp . Full of Scripture, the book challenged me and Don to be Biblic...

out of it

I really am not sure what to write this morning. I didn't get much sleep last night, not due to the kids - well the ones who have been born anyway. I'm going to try and watch more what and when I eat today so maybe tonight I won't be dealing with the acid reflux so bad. I read Romans 5 this morning and there is so much in there that I don't feel like I can get my head around it to pull out something. It's all so very wonderful. The kids aren't awake yet, so I think I'll go lay back down.