Skip to main content

the things of the Spirit

"For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace" Romans 8:3-6

As one could easily pick out from my previous entries, I'm currently reading through the book of Romans. It's kind of funny, but God seems to think that Don and I need A LOT of this book - and I agree! Don's listened to John Piper, Lance Quinn, Curtis Thomas and George Zemek preach through Romans. I've heard Lance and Dr. Z. Now, at what will most likely be our new church, Phil Newton is starting to preach through a new book in January - guess which one? Romans. So in preparation for that sermon series I'm re-reading the book - and (though I shouldn't be) quite frankly amazed at how much I STILL don't understand! (and how much more I understand but don't consistently practice). Today, I read chapter 7 - and because chapter 8 is my favorite chapter in the Bible, could not stop at 7, but read most of 8 as well.

So here is the question I ask myself after reading "am I setting my mind on the things of the Spirit?" and "what does it mean to set your mind on the things of the Spirit?" and "what are the things of the Spirit?" Now you'd think I'd remember this from all the teaching (and maybe I should go back and listen to it again! Lance started Romans the month before my first child was born, and then #2 was born 21 months later, so I was in and out of the nursing room, then nursery, and staying home with sick kids etc. - not to give an excuse, but just looking at the reality of the past 4 years :-) )

I think this is one of those "this is who you are" statements and at the same time "this is who you should be". Definitely, if you are a believer, you are (8:9) "in the Spirit". I think if I were to remember to ask myself the question "am I setting my mind on the things of the Spirit" that I could probably (maybe not always) answer that one. Too often, my mind is set on the drudgery of the day or being anxious over x-y-z. Let us take, for instance, a very frequent thing I think and pray about - the salvation of my children. One might think "ah, she's constantly praying for the salvation of her children - what a wonderful way to set her mind on the things of the Spirit." Honestly, when I first read this verse I thought that. But then I started examining what I actually think about when I am so concerned for their salvation. Do I focus on the character of the Saviour-God? Do I remember verses that points out how He loves to save sinners? Do I counsel myself by remembering that salvation is all of Him? Do I pray that He would receive the glory from my childrens' lives? Maybe .01% of the time. Normally, my thoughts are more in the vain of "Am I totally messing my kids' lives up?", "Is there any hope that they will ever become believers?", "Am I putting stumbling blocks before them that will be so hard to overcome later?", "Am I training them in ways that will actually make it harder for them to trust God?", "Am I giving them the right words to say and right 'head-knowledge' without dealing with their heart and helping them realize their sinfulness?" So while my mind is set on "spiritual things" I don't think those anxious thoughts that focus on me actually qualify as setting my mind on things of the Spirit. Should I strive to obey God and train my children in righteousness? Most definitely. Should I occasionally step back and take a look at how things are going to ascertain whether I am doing things to engage their hearts? Of course. But, I should not attempt to accomplish their salvation. I seek God's grace to throw the seed and water it, but it is God who is the only one who can give the increase.

"Enable me Lord, in this area in particular, to set my mind of the things of the Spirit, and not on fear masking as righteous concern."

Popular posts from this blog

pursue what makes for peace

" For if your brother is grieved by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. By what you eat, do not destroy the one for whom Christ died. So do not let what you regard as good be spoken of as evil. For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. Whoever thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men. So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding. Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for anyone to make another stumble by what he eats. It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble. The faith that you have, keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who has no reason to pass judgment on himself for what he approves." Romans 14:15-22 A very good reminder, especially when coming in to a new body of believers where one really does not know what person

out of it

I really am not sure what to write this morning. I didn't get much sleep last night, not due to the kids - well the ones who have been born anyway. I'm going to try and watch more what and when I eat today so maybe tonight I won't be dealing with the acid reflux so bad. I read Romans 5 this morning and there is so much in there that I don't feel like I can get my head around it to pull out something. It's all so very wonderful. The kids aren't awake yet, so I think I'll go lay back down.

Christ our Mediator

During the latter part of 2007, our church was going through a series on Wednesday nights entitled "Christ our Mediator". The study was part of a larger study on the 1689 London Confession of Faith. I did not make it to many of the sessions. I think I made it to the first one and one other. The second one I attended was on the topic of "fully God and fully man". Someone in the audience made the comment that "Christ had to be fully man." Now this is something I believe 100% was the case according to Scripture, but I have not really ever understand why Christ HAD to be fully man. I though that it was really nice that He was human because he can understand our weaknesses, but that it was required by God for Christ to be human, I never saw why. I understood that He HAD to be fully God because no man could ever live a perfect life to be an acceptable sacrifice on behalf of others. The next week at Home Fellowship Group, I asked this question (and gave c