Skip to main content

contemplation

Speaking of Abraham in Romans 4, Paul writes:
"In hope against hope he believed, in order that he might become a father of many nations, according to that which had been spoken, "So shall your descendants be." And without becoming weak in faith he contemplated his own body, now as good as dead since he was about a hundred years old, and the deadness of Sarah's womb; yet, with respect to the promise of God, he did not waver in unbelief, but grew strong in faith, giving glory to God, and being fully assured that what He had promised, He was able also to perform. Therefore also it was reckoned to him as righteousness." Romans 4:18-22
This set of verses caught my attention of late - I'm still trying to figure out exactly what they mean. When it says that "he contemplated his own body..." he obviously took a realistic look at the situation. It's like he was saying, "OK, I'm really, really old - my body's not working so great any more. Sarah was past child-bearing years decades ago." Yet though he pointed out the reality of the situation the Bible tells us that "he did not waver in unbelief." I think many times we have allowed the "positive-thinking gospel" to become part of what we think of as THE gospel. In a sort of superstitious way we think "as long as I only think good, positive things then maybe that will show God I really have faith and He will come through on His promise." But that's not what Abraham, the father of Faith, did! He "contemplated" the impossibility of the situation, didn't waver, but yet "grew strong in faith" and through this "(gave) glory to God"!

So, what impossibilities am I facing right now? Honestly when I think to list them, they seem so petty. This first thing that came to my mind was living out the remainder of this pregnancy in a new city with no friends near. The health issues I've had recently - often in the back of my mind the idea that there may be a blood clot floating around somewhere inside. The normal pain of pregnancy that doesn't ever seem to be "normal", but very real and inconvenient. The fact that we moved here for the "near-perfect" job, yet Don is having to work until very late with no extra pay. I guess living through these isn't impossible - just put one foot in front of the other and slowly time will make the living possible. It is living through these with faith and joy and contentment and peace and no fear that is impossible. So am I "weak in faith" if I list these things? Am I weak if I contemplate the trials I am facing? Should I rather bury my head in the sand and pretend these don't exist? Or just keep thinking that "of course I don't have a blood clot" because by just thinking that the possibility of it will go away? Based on Abraham's example, I don't think so. When I stop and list the trials, it causes me to also recognize the blessings and the relish in God's promises. "I will never leave you nor forsake you." "I will not withhold any good thing from you." "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God who gives to all men liberally and without reproach." "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble." I helps me to be "fully assured that what [God] had promised, He was able also to perform."

Of course, I still cry out "Lord, help my unbelief!" I pray that God would cause me to grow strong in faith and through every day of my life (not just until this season is over!) that I would give glory to God. That seems impossible - but I must remember "...with God all things are possible" and it is on Him - not me - that my faith rests.

Popular posts from this blog

pursue what makes for peace

" For if your brother is grieved by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. By what you eat, do not destroy the one for whom Christ died. So do not let what you regard as good be spoken of as evil. For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. Whoever thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men. So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding. Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for anyone to make another stumble by what he eats. It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble. The faith that you have, keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who has no reason to pass judgment on himself for what he approves." Romans 14:15-22 A very good reminder, especially when coming in to a new body of believers where one really does not know what person

out of it

I really am not sure what to write this morning. I didn't get much sleep last night, not due to the kids - well the ones who have been born anyway. I'm going to try and watch more what and when I eat today so maybe tonight I won't be dealing with the acid reflux so bad. I read Romans 5 this morning and there is so much in there that I don't feel like I can get my head around it to pull out something. It's all so very wonderful. The kids aren't awake yet, so I think I'll go lay back down.

Christ our Mediator

During the latter part of 2007, our church was going through a series on Wednesday nights entitled "Christ our Mediator". The study was part of a larger study on the 1689 London Confession of Faith. I did not make it to many of the sessions. I think I made it to the first one and one other. The second one I attended was on the topic of "fully God and fully man". Someone in the audience made the comment that "Christ had to be fully man." Now this is something I believe 100% was the case according to Scripture, but I have not really ever understand why Christ HAD to be fully man. I though that it was really nice that He was human because he can understand our weaknesses, but that it was required by God for Christ to be human, I never saw why. I understood that He HAD to be fully God because no man could ever live a perfect life to be an acceptable sacrifice on behalf of others. The next week at Home Fellowship Group, I asked this question (and gave c