Skip to main content

Christ our Mediator

During the latter part of 2007, our church was going through a series on Wednesday nights entitled "Christ our Mediator". The study was part of a larger study on the 1689 London Confession of Faith. I did not make it to many of the sessions. I think I made it to the first one and one other. The second one I attended was on the topic of "fully God and fully man". Someone in the audience made the comment that "Christ had to be fully man." Now this is something I believe 100% was the case according to Scripture, but I have not really ever understand why Christ HAD to be fully man. I though that it was really nice that He was human because he can understand our weaknesses, but that it was required by God for Christ to be human, I never saw why. I understood that He HAD to be fully God because no man could ever live a perfect life to be an acceptable sacrifice on behalf of others.

The next week at Home Fellowship Group, I asked this question (and gave challenges) and Tom explained it very well. He showed me that throughout Scripture God's way of doing things was that of an individual singled out to represent the group. For instance, Achan's individual sin affected the whole camp (as well as his family). Often Adam represents the whole human race (we are all "dead in Adam", "the first Adam" passages etc.) Because of this, Christ had to be of the human race in order to represent the human race. I gave the challenge that the goats and bulls in the OT were not of the human race when they took the sins of the people. But, rightly so, it was stated that the bulls and goats never really took the sin. Sure, the people of that time had faith in doing what God had revealed and I believe because of their faith in God and obedience to His word, it was efficacious. In reality, the bulls and goats were just a picture of what, rather Who, was to come - Christ.

This is very interesting to me and enlightening as I had never really considered the whole "head-representing-the-race" thing before. Yes, I have a Bible degree and have probably heard this explained a million times in theology class, but I never really understood it before.

Anyways, today I read Spurgeon's Morning and Evening and it is a wonderful encouragement and reminder that yes, Christ was one of "us":

Some excerpts:

Oh, what relationship there is between Christ and the believer! The believer can say, "I have a Brother in heaven; I may be poor, but I have a Brother who is rich, and is a King, and will He suffer me to want while He is on His throne? Oh, no! He loves me; He is my Brother." ...He is a brother born for adversity, treat Him as such.

"He was tempted in all points like as we are, yet without sin." In all our sorrows we have His sympathy. Temptation, pain, disappointment, weakness, weariness, poverty-He knows them all, for He has felt all. Remember this, Christian, and let it comfort thee. However difficult and painful thy road, it is marked by the footsteps of thy Saviour; and even when thou reachest the dark valley of the shadow of death, and the deep waters of the swelling Jordan, thou wilt find His footprints there. In all places whithersoever we go, He has been our forerunner; each burden we have to carry, has once been laid on the shoulders of Immanuel.

Popular posts from this blog

out of it

I really am not sure what to write this morning. I didn't get much sleep last night, not due to the kids - well the ones who have been born anyway. I'm going to try and watch more what and when I eat today so maybe tonight I won't be dealing with the acid reflux so bad. I read Romans 5 this morning and there is so much in there that I don't feel like I can get my head around it to pull out something. It's all so very wonderful. The kids aren't awake yet, so I think I'll go lay back down.

pursue what makes for peace

" For if your brother is grieved by what you eat, you are no longer walking in love. By what you eat, do not destroy the one for whom Christ died. So do not let what you regard as good be spoken of as evil. For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. Whoever thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men. So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding. Do not, for the sake of food, destroy the work of God. Everything is indeed clean, but it is wrong for anyone to make another stumble by what he eats. It is good not to eat meat or drink wine or do anything that causes your brother to stumble. The faith that you have, keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who has no reason to pass judgment on himself for what he approves." Romans 14:15-22 A very good reminder, especially when coming in to a new body of believers where one really does not know what person

proverbs for parenting

Recently I have been very convicted about my lack of diligence in training our children. Albeit, the past few months have been crazy , but eventually I knew that I needed and wanted things to get back to where I thought we were at least pointed in the right direction, even if we weren't making any progress. So Don and I talked about things this past Sunday afternoon. Big things like - the vision and direction of our family and small things like - what steps do we take each day to be going that direction. He asked me to start going through Proverbs and making a list of categories of verses regarding a parent's responsibility to instruct and discipline their children and the blessings and warnings given to parents and children alike if they don't heed God's instruction. This morning I read through the first 12 chapters online and though I haven't got to the classic "discipline your child" verses yet, I found many that definitely increased my conviction