Skip to main content

from Mr. Spurgeon

Proverbs 16:33
The lot is cast into the lap, but the whole disposing thereof is of the Lord.

If the disposal of the lot is the Lord's whose is the arrangement of our whole life? If the a simple casting of a lot is guided by Him, how much more the events of our entire life-especially when we are told by our blessed Saviour: "The very hairs of your head are all numbered: not a sparrow falleth to the ground without your Father." It would bring a holy calm over your mind, dear friend, if you were always to remember this. It would so relieve your mind from anxiety, that you would be the better able to walk in patience, quiet, and cheerfulness as a Christian should. When a man is anxious he cannot pray with faith; when he is troubled about the world, he cannot serve his Master, his thoughts are serving himself. If you would "seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness," all things would then be added unto you. You are meddling with Christ's business, and neglecting your own when you fret about your lot and circumstances. You have been trying "providing" work and forgetting that it is yours to obey. Be wise and attend to the obeying, and let Christ manage the providing. Come and survey your Father's storehouse, and ask whether He will let you starve while He has laid up so great an abundance in His garner? Look at His heart of mercy; see if that can ever prove unkind! Look at His inscrutable wisdom; see if that will ever be at fault. Above all, look up to Jesus Christ your Intercessor, and ask yourself, while He pleads, can your Father deal ungraciously with you? If He remembers even sparrows, will He forget one of the least of His poor children? "Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and He will sustain thee. He will never suffer the righteous to be moved."

My soul, rest happy in thy low estate,
Nor hope nor wish to be esteem'd or great;
To take the impress of the Will Divine,
Be that thy glory, and those riches thine.

Popular posts from this blog

sovereign ruler

Sovereign Ruler of the skies, Ever gracious, ever wise, All my times are in thy hand, All of events at thy command. His decree who formed the earth Fixed my first and second birth; Parents, native place, and time All appointed were by him. He that formed in the womb, He shall guide me to the tomb; All my times shall ever be Ordered by his wise decree. Times of sickness, times of health, Times of penury and wealth; Times of trial and of grief, Times of triumph and relief; Times the tempter’s power to prove, Times to test the Savior’s love; All must come, and last, and end As shall please my heavenly friend. Plagues and death around me fly; Till he bids, I cannot die. Nor a single shaft can hit, Till the love of God sees fit. John Ryland (1753-1825), Baptist minister, cited by J.I. Packer, God’s Plans for You , pg. 9.

instruments of righteousness

"For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God." Romans 6:10-13 Presenting my "members" as "instruments of righteousness to God" is something I should strive to do. This verse made me think about how I am living - am I letting sin reign? Do I volunteer and sign-up for service to sin? Or am I seeking to be an instrument of righteousness to God. The word "instrument" reminded me of a very good book - Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands by Paul David Tripp . Full of Scripture, the book challenged me and Don to be Biblic...

out of it

I really am not sure what to write this morning. I didn't get much sleep last night, not due to the kids - well the ones who have been born anyway. I'm going to try and watch more what and when I eat today so maybe tonight I won't be dealing with the acid reflux so bad. I read Romans 5 this morning and there is so much in there that I don't feel like I can get my head around it to pull out something. It's all so very wonderful. The kids aren't awake yet, so I think I'll go lay back down.